Politicians lie from time to time. All politicians. Donald Trump lies. Hillary Clinton lies. Even the internet’s great white hope Bernie Sanders lies. They also have bad ideas. They make mistakes. Not all the time. But these things do happen. They’re human and this is just a fact of life. There are plenty of reasons to not trust politicians. There are more than enough reasons to justify not liking any politician or to not vote for them. There’s really no good reason to just make things up.
Similarly, the mainstream news media makes mistakes. Reporters are also human. Sometimes they get things wrong. Sometimes they just miss stuff. It’s 2016. There’s half a dozen 24/7 news outlets on TV in the United States and about a zillion online reporting sites. There are bound to be inaccuracies and there is bound to be bias. But the mainstream news media is not involved in some grand conspiracy to keep the truth from you. MSNBC, CNN, FoxNews, HuffPo and the Drudge Report all have biases. Certainly there are times when they might try (intentionally or subconsciously) to spin a story to better favor or disparage one candidate or another. But none of them are so deeply involved with a candidate so as to have the power to completely bury a story both on their own pages and in all of the other mainstream news sources just keep people from knowing the truth. THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY! And some random blog site that a guy runs in his basement did NOT uncover some piece of news that the big sites are intentionally not reporting and that just so happens to confirm what you have always believed to be true about the evil candidate on the other side… even if he does have words like “real” and “truth” in his url.
I’ve seen several of these on social media lately. Always posted by someone who says something like “why is no one talking about this? If people knew this there’s no way they’d ever vote for ______.” Here’s a hint. If no one is talking about it, then it probably isn’t true. Hell, sometimes when people are talking about it, it isn’t true. But if no one is talking about it and you can’t find confirmation on a news site that has more than a dozen subscribers and doesn’t use headlines like “The Startling Truth About….” then you should think twice about reposting it. Real news doesn’t need click bait. If a headline makes you say “oh my god, that’s unbelievable!” then stop for a moment and say “wow… you know, that IS UNBELIEVABLE!” Do a quick google search and see if you can find corroboration from even one real news site. At the very least go and type the article into Snopes.com and see if anything comes up.
Here are my favorite ones I’ve seen in the last couple of weeks about the major two candidates and Bernie Sanders, since people, both his critics and his supporters, don’t seem to understand that he isn’t actually running anymore. I’ll do Bernie first because his story is probably the dumbest of all.
• Bernie Sanders buys $600,000 vacation home thus proving that he was on the take and helping Hillary fix the election all along or had been embezzling all of his presidential campaign contributions. – NO! This is just dumb. For some reason the internet has convinced themselves that since Bernie is a self-styled champion of the working class that he is working class. He’s not. Bernie Sanders is a United States senator. He has been doing it for almost a decade and before that he was a congressman for fifteen years and before that a mayor. Bernie Sanders is NOT poor. Senators currently make about $200K/year, plus any money he makes from book sales or speaking engagements. So if nothing else, he bought a house that was worth about three years salary (which is pretty reasonable… probably more os than most homebuyers). Plus, his wife works, and it turns out that they sold a home they already owned in order to buy the new one. It’s a house on the beach, in Vermont… where he lives… Frankly $600K is kind of a steal.
• Hillary Clinton knowingly sold arms to ISIS. – NO! This is also just dumb. The story is that Julian Assange has uncovered information that while Secretary of State Hillary Clinton authorized the trade of arms with Qatar and that Qatar is a stronghold for ISIS. The first part is probably true… because Qatar is our ally! They have been fro decades. Being a Middle East country with a lot of muslims in it does not make you a terrorist. We have a massive military base in Qatar. In fact, it’s our largest base in the Middle East. The Obama administration engages in trade with them. As did the Bush administration. As did the Clinton administration. As did the other Bush administration. So what Hillary is guilty of here is doing her job. This one is beyond ridiculous and I can’t believe that people believe that in a week where Donald Trump has directly accused the current president of being in league with ISIS that somehow no mainstream news organization has bothered to mention this very important tidbit. There’s a reason for that! It’s because it’s FUCKING DUMB!!!!
• Donald Trump said that if her were going to run for president he’d do it as a Republican because they are the dumbest voters. – NO! Ok, this one is at least sort of believable, because he does kinda say stuff like this all the time. For instance he did say that he could shoot a man in the middle of New York city and people would still vote for him. The problem is he never actually said this one. I don’t even remotely understand why someone made this one up. At least with other candidates, they try to double speak and not say things that they are afraid might lose them votes. Trump doesn’t do that. He literally says stuff that is divisive and inflammatory ALL THE TIME! Why make something up?
Last night, I saw the all time dumbest one. I was arguing with someone (who I don’t know) about the Hillary Clinton ISIS connection and he posted this proof that Hillary and Obama are trying to destroy the country with communism that they learned from Saul Alinsky:
A close friend researched and shared this, I pass it onto you for your knowledge. She will ruin us if given the opportunity, vote accordingly!!!
The Cloward-Piven aka “Coward Proven” strategy is based on the teachings of Saul Alinsky a communist socialist died about 43 years ago, but his writings have influenced the politicians who control our nation today.
Hillary Clinton did a college thesis on his writings and Barack Hussein Obama writes about him in his books.
Died: June 12, 1972,
Education: University of Chicago
Spouse: Irene Alinsky.
Rules for Liberal Radicals
Reveille for Radicals
Anyone think this stuff isn’t happening today in the U.S. ?
All eight rules are currently in play.
There are eight levels of control that must be obtained before you are able to create a Liberal Socialist state.
The first is the most important.
1) Healthcare: Control healthcare and you control the people.
2) Poverty: Increase the Poverty level as high as possible, poor people are easier to control and will not fight back if you are providing everything for them to live.
3) Debt: Increase the debt to an unsustainable level. That way you are able to increase taxes, and this will produce more poverty.
4) Gun Control: Remove the ability to defend themselves from the Government. That way you are able to create a police state.
WORKING ON IT.
5) Welfare: Take control of every aspect of their lives (Food, Housing, and Income).
6) Education: Take control of what people read and listen to. Take control of what children learn in school.
7) Religion: Remove the belief in the God from the Government and schools.
8) Class Warfare: Divide the people into the wealthy and the poor. This will cause more discontent and it will be easier to take (Tax) the wealthy with the support of the poor.
Any of this sound like what is happening to the United States?
Alinsky simplified Vladimir Lenin’s original scheme for world conquest by communism, under Russian rule.
Stalin described his converts as “Useful Idiots.”
The “Useful” Liberal Idiots have destroyed every nation in which they have seized power and control. It’s presently happening at an alarming rate in the U.S.
If people can read this and still say everything is just fine. They’re the useful idiots. “It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.”
Wake Up America!
Hillary Clinton a liberal Socialist is running for office! She is backed by
George Soros a Communist Socialist who backs and controls the
“Barack Hussein Obama”…
(I love the quotes around “Barack Hussein Obama” as though that wasn’t his real name. I also love the “Wake up America!” racist rallying cry.)
Of course, those aren’t Saul Alinsky’s rules. First of all, the book isn’t even called Rules for Liberal Radicals. It’s just Rules for Radicals. Second, there are 13 rules. Not 8. And none of those are on the list. Third, he wasn’t a communist. And in fact, actively disavowed the communist movement because he felt that organized ideologies were counter to his entire message. Fourth, Alinsky isn’t Clinton (or Obama) and attributing the thoughts of someone she wrote a paper about to her makes no more sense than claiming that Paul Ryan was a radical objectivist because he happens to be a fan of Atlas Shrugged (and I disagreed with that when the Democrats tried to make that claim 4 years ago). It’d be like saying I was a nazi because I had to do a report on Hitler once when i was a kid. Fifth, those things aren’t really the tenants of communism or Alinsky. If you were to take the simple step of googling any of the rules, you’d find out that it’s a copy of an old anti-communist red scare propaganda piece *supposedly* written in 1919 when Alinsky was 10 years old. It has nothing to do with him… and actually nothing to do with communism! Most people don’t actually know anything about Alinsky. He’s not a common household name. It’s just a bullet point that came up and everyone is supposed to know that it’s “bad.” And if you are a conservative, his ideology is almost certainly bad… You would likely disagree with everything that he stood for. it’s just that that list ISN’T it.
I don’t care who you vote for. I don’t care what your politics are. I don’t even care if you want to vote based on irrational reasons. You can hate Hillary Clinton because she’s not good enough in bed to keep her husband from cheating on her. You can hate Donald Trump because he apparently really wants to fuck his daughter (though honestly, that’s the most relatable thing about him… cuz I totally want to too). Hell, for all I care flip a coin. But if you’re going to try and justify it with “facts” do two seconds of research to find out if they’re real or not.
Something being in a meme does not make it true.