ChrisMaverick dotcom

15 comments for “on Being Too Old to Play Kickball

1. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I was so tired last night it’s not even funny (I passed out early and missed a chance to go to a neighbor’s and drink more free beer) and my leg muscles hated me. Which means I can’t wait til the next one :).

Also, I’m always in favor of you throwing parties again.

2. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 2:04 pm

You should organize a kickball league.

3. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I’m in favor of jammy jam.

4. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Reuven: Part of me would be interested in that. Just because it was fun. There are adult kickball leagues around. But, on the other hand, a lot of the fun was running the bases carrying beer, and I definitely am worn out today. I don’t know that I could do this every week.

5. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Bryon: I do miss it. But it was a lot of work. And half my friends are old now. I wonder how well it would go over.

I mean, I don’t know if I have the energy (or money) to put it together like the last few I did, with bands and stuff… unless I had a lot of help. So would it make sense to have a chill laid back, listening to music DJ’d off of an iPhone Jammy Jam like the first ones were or does it have to be an extravagant ridiculous thing with bands and prizes and crap?

6. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I have friends that do leagues in Vegas, you stop being so sore after a few weeks apparently. The tournament I do once or twice a year absolutely kills me though.

7. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Sounds awesome. But, honestly, a slightly cynical part of me thinks that if you have a lot of middle aged folks hanging out at your house wearing pajamas after spending a day in the sun playing games and drinking, they are probably just going to find a comfortable spot and go to sleep.

Of course, that kind of sounds like a good way to spend an evening, too. 🙂

8. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 2:47 pm

yes… that would be the flaw

9. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Bands and prizes are nice and all, but I think the most important part of all your parties, IMO, was just having a nice time hanging out and seeing how everyone interpreted the theme of whichever party it was at the time.

10. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 3:29 pm

No idea what jammy jam is, but I am in for more kickball

11. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Jammy jam was my birthday party I did for several years. Basically an adult “slumber party”

12. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I was in a kickball league a while back. I ended up pulling both my quads. In the first game. At the same time. On my first time up to kick.

And that was 7 years ago. God, it sucks getting old.

13. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 3:52 pm

clearly you should have been beered up like we were!

14. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 4:34 pm

I think if the kickball were to conclude early enough in the day that everyone could grab a nap (and let’s face it, a shower), that might help. And then, since we’re being children, you might cover the floor of your basement in mats so people can take naptime as needed. Maybe pipe in some soft ambient and trip-hop…and of course Johnny Depp handing out opium pipes…

15. avatar
    June 22, 2014 at 4:35 pm

(i threw that last one in there for Steph…it’s her birthday too!)